- Create a bootable Xubuntu USB installer. You can follow these instructions. Latest version recommended.
- Stick the USB in the computer, reboot, and on the BIOS, select the USB as boot drive with priority over the hard disk.
- On the Xubuntu installer, follow the steps to replace Windows 7 by Xubuntu.
- Once booted up and logged in, run these commands on a terminal to replace the default crappy office and multimedia applications by the excellent LibreOffice and VLC:
sudo apt-get remove abiword gnumeric gmusicbrowser parole
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libreoffice vlc
- Optional: if it is the computer of a friend, amaze him/her by telling that there are no viruses an no antivirus is needed.
- Open Firefox and install Adblock Plus.
- Enjoy for many years without virus nor performance drop!
Preview of the result: